Sea-levels around Kosrae are likely to be between 3-5 inches higher than normal over the next few months.
Some of the highest tides of the year also tend to occur during the December to February period. With higher than normal sea-levels, high tides will be pushed even higher than they normally are, resulting in very high water levels at high tide around every Spring tide over the next 3 months.
High tides above 7 feet are expected on the following dates:
- Saturday 2nd to Thursday 7th December
- Sunday 17th to Thursday 21 December
- Sunday 31st December to Friday 5th January
- Monday 15th January to Saturday 20th January
- Monday 29th January to Saturday 5th February
- Wednesday 14 February to Sunday 18th February
- Wednesday 28th February to Saturday 3 March
During these periods (and possibly the days just before and afterwards) flooding of low lying areas is likely to occur, particularly if larger waves coincide with high tide. Wave overwashing at places such as Paal and Mosral is highly likely.
The tide tables for December, January and February can be downloaded from the links below: