Sea-levels around Kosrae are still higher than normal and are likely to continue to be about 4 inches higher than normal over the next few months.
Some of the highest tides of the year also tend to occur during the December to February period. This is because the diurnal (once daily) tide component has its largest influence around the summer solstice (in December).
High tides above 7 feet are expected on the following dates:
- Tuesday 13th to Friday 16th December
- Friday 30th Saturday 31 December
- Wednesday 11th to Sunday 15 January
- Friday 27th to Monday 30th January
- Friday 10th to Sunday 12 February
- Sunday 26th to Monday 27th February
During these periods (and possibly the days just before and afterwards) flooding of low lying areas is likely to occur, particularly if larger waves coincide with high tide. Wave overwashing at places such as Paal and Mosral is highly likely.
The tide tables for December, January and February can be downloaded from the links below: